Downhill Skiing Pictures Below the North Glades - Boomerang Chair
The very essence of skiing is the ability to plant a pole and fall around it without fear. The north glades give you a chance to put your faith to the test on each and every turn.
1. This is the bottom edge of the North Glades. It is hard to get the perspective of the place. Yes those dots in the distance are adults downhill skiing and snowboarding.
2. There must be an underground spring to create these giant icicles. This shot is to the right and up a bit from where the first picture was taken.
3. This picture gives a good idea of the steepness of the slope here below the North Glades. This is truly the double black diamond part of the run.
4. This shot was taken after making half a dozen turns from the location shown in picture 3. Also it was taken in early February and that is far as the sun came down the valley on that day. As you can see the ski area is very vast.
5. This shot is taken back up the slope from the same location as the 4th picture. You can see the large icicles at the right hand side of the picture.
It is an absolutely marvelous feeling to be able to ski down such a slope under complete control as pieces of snow roll down the hill faster than you are traveling. This is a great area to practice.
By the time they open this area there is normally lots of snow so you can turn anywhere you want. This area was logged in the recent past so there are not many natural obstacles to run into.
Fall Line Skiing
The North Glades are representative of the steepness of all the slopes in the lower reaches of the Boomerang watershed.
In downhill skiing the term fall line refers to the direction that water would run going down the slope. Here the fall line goes in the same direction for a long way.
If you are good enough and in good physical shape you can make a lot of turns back and forth across this fall line without altering your course a great deal.
I recommend the North Glades after a fresh snow fall for perfecting those big looping fall line downhill skiing turns!
Another Downhill Skiing Gallery | Return To the Boomerang Chair Trail Map