Skiing Holiday Pictures Above Beggars Canyon - Boomerang Chair
Want is a ski holiday without a challenge? The slopes on this side of the Boomerang Chair area are relatively gentle down to this point. As the pictures below attest there is a variety of terrain to ski as the valley narrows towards either the cannon or the North Glades.
1. The further down Brumbys you go the more the vista opens up. On this day the combination of new snow and brilliant blue skies create an unforgettable skiing holiday picture.
2. Looking back up the hill we can see some of the varied terrain you can choose to ride and ski. This area of the mountain is relatively flat. The steep part is coming!
3. The main peak of Mt. Washington is an ever present companion. Early in the winter it keeps the sun from even entering this valley. By mid March the sun is high enough to cover most of the Boomerang Chair area.
4. This is one of the many rock out cropping that create the funnel that is Beggars Canyon. I haven't ventured into the canyon yet but may in the near future as we have had another 50cm of snow this week.
5. This skiing holiday picture is taken to the right and above Beggars Canyon. The snowy slope you can see in the distance is on the other side of McKay Lake.
Going Out of Bounds
On your right as you proceed down the valley is the ridge that drops away from Mt. Washington's main peak to wards the east.
Some have traversed down the ridge to the right and skied and snowboarded down the out of bounds slope shown in picture 5. After the out of bounds run they then have to walk across the frozen McKay Lake to reach the Boomerang Chair.
Personally, I am not a big fan of going out of bounds. You especially have to be careful in changing snow conditions and after large snow falls.
It is especially important not to go alone. If you are going out of bounds, you and other members of your party should carry shovels and wear locater beacons.
These precautions may not save your life in the case of an avalanche but they do increase your chances of being found before it is to late. Ski and snowboard safely and enjoy your skiing holiday.